Skip to content ↓

Girls football Finals league day 21st Feb

After winning the previous league the girls football team went to Hive (Barnet FC) to play in the finals on a very wet and windy day.  All the teams that finished top of their league had been grouped together so the standard was going to be high and competitive.


Our first match was against St John’s.  The girls picked up from where they let off with a solid and disciplined performance.  Haneen managed to get a only goal of the match by running down the wing and sneaking the effort in the near post.  We continued to defend well and created more chances.   The match finished with a 1-0 win, which was a great start and boosted our confidence.


The second match was against Grimsdyke school.  The rain continued to pour down but this did not affect the children’s effort and motivation to get a positive result.  Grimsdyke scored first with a break away goal and excellent finish.  The game continued to be closed.  Rafa caused problems upfront and managed to get us a free kick from 20 yards out.  Haneen stepped up and blasted it in the top left corner to equalise.  The match finished 1-1 so we remained unbeaten.


The last game for the league was against St John Fisher.  This was the toughest test that we had faced all season.  They were strong in all departments and despite the girls battling we lost the match 2-0.  Some excellent defending from Tamryn, Hayley and Iqra kept the score down.


This meant that Roxeth had done enough to reach the semi finals which was a great achievement.  For this match we faced St Teresa’s who had a very good player in midfield and another one upfront.  However, proceeded to be another very close match.  Unfortunately, the forward managed to break free of our defence on one occassion and smashed the ball past Sophia, who had made some outstanding saves in this match to try and keep us in the game. We lost the match 1-0 but Mr Gurteen and I were very proud of the girls. 


The last match was a third place play off against St Georges.  The girls continued to try their best.  We went 1-0 down following a good finish from their forward in the first half.  Despite this disappointment the girls showed tremendous resilience to draw level again from a great strike from Haneen.  The match finished as a draw.


So overall the girls were the joint 3rd best primary school across all the schools in Harrow which was a wonderful achievement.  A special mention to Lena who played brilliantly throughout the tournament and was a terrific defender battling until the last minute.


Congratulations to the following girls who all did brilliantly:  Heneen, Lena, Saanvi, Rafa, Sofia, Aminah, Iqra, Tamryn, Hayley.